Monday, May 01, 2006

If it's Monday this must be Philadelphia...

It's a little after 9 pm on Monday night and I just sat down to the computer to take a quick tour around my blogroll and get a few thoughts down to recap the whirlwind of activity that has been going on over these past couple of days.

Chicago was amazing--I had been out there before on several occasions but this trip was by far the best. It was perfect spring weather the first three days, and since I would be spending most of my time indoors on the weekend, I didn't even mind when the storms blew in. And sometimes even a little rain on a Sunday morning can be the perfect thing.

The food was fantastic--although I think I'm going to pay the price for all of the deep-dish pizza that I ate when I have to drag along a couple of extra pounds for 10 miles during the Broad Street Run on Sunday morning.

It was so great to jump back into improv again. I had very experienced, talented teachers for all of my workshops and each one brought a different perspective to all of the possibilities that can come from the beginning of a scene. And the same students were scheduled for every class, so over the course of five days we all got to know and trust each other completely. I met some very cool people from New Orleans, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Toronto, London, and an entire group from Norway that had been invited to come perform at the festival. Just one of the many highlights from the trip was kicking ass in pool in the Lincoln Tap Room at 1 a.m. with a 6'3" Norwegian named Gunner as my partner...

Sunday may have started off slow but the pace picked up quickly as the day went along. When I finally got to O'Hare for my flight that evening, the rain had caused delays and cancelled flights all over the country. Luckily my flight only got pushed back an hour, and I pulled into my driveway a little before midnight. I just dumped my suitcase on the kitchen floor and when I finally crawled into bed a short time later it was lights out about 10 seconds after my head hit the pillow.

I woke up bright and early and was rarin' to go this morning. I would always look forward to the excitement surrounding any kind of first day situation, so there was an extra spring in my step as I tucked my new Trapper Keeper into my bookbag and grabbed my Harry Potter lunch box to head off towards my office in Center City. The day went very smooth and everyone made me feel welcome right away. There will be a pretty steep learning curve at this new place, but I'm used to hitting the ground running and handling things on the fly.

Well I think I better wrap this post up soon. I still have some work that I brought home from the office that I want to have done by tomorrow morning and I have a fully-packed suitcase to step over several times on my way to the kitchen to fix a late dinner. Mmmm--I wonder how much Geno's would charge me to deliver some deep-dish from Chicago...